Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The SBCAN Board of Directors is committed to advancing the following principles and goals for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in carrying out its stated Mission to promote social and economic justice, to preserve our environmental and agricultural resources, and to create sustainable communities. The Board is also committed to developing policies for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion within its internal operations between the Board and staff members.
Diversity: Diversity is the presence of different identities. We are committed to ensuring our staff and Board represent the identities present in the communities we serve.
Equity: Equity involves fairness in treatment, access, and opportunities. We are committed to acknowledging, addressing, and correcting unequal starting places, barriers, and advantages, wherever and whenever possible.
Inclusion: Inclusion is the creation of a sense of belonging and the understanding that the institution will be positively transformed as a result of including people with different identities. We are committed to creating an environment in which any individual can be themselves and feel welcomed, respected, and valued to participate.
- Incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion into the organization’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the plans and priorities of all Board committees.
- Ensure Board and staff understanding of and commitment to the organization’s identified DEI goals.
- Ensure diversity, equity and inclusion are seen as critical to fulfilling the organization’s mission and ensuring the well-being of our staff and the communities we serve.
- Ensure Board and staff are provided leadership support and professional development regarding DEI.
- Set expectations regarding individual Board and staff conduct generally and specifically with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion, provide feedback when expectations are not met or conduct falls short, and establish mechanisms to ensure credibility and accountability. The board and staff will hold yearly workshops and/or trainings to review progress and set goals for the following year unless it is determined that an alternative activity will suffice.